Friday, June 10, 2011

May 10th, Addy's Sandwiches


Addy’s Sandwich

521 SW 10th Ave, Portland, Oregon

(503) 267-0994


Mon – Fri 11am to 3pm; Sat 11:3o to 3:30; Sun Closed

May 10th, 2011

I’ve come to love my walks through downtown before going into work. Especially now since the sun is showing itself a bit more.  Today I was going to the food carts on 10th & Adler and they were bursting with hungry nine to fivers.  Something about people in suits or just business causal attire waiting in line at food carts just makes me laugh a little.  Not sure why but either way I enjoy it. 
Addy’s was my destination today. I had been before but not for some time so I was eager to check it out again.  The Cart was just as I remembered it. Small but very well put together with random sorts of knick knacks in the window.  They had their menu outside with a selection of sandos on either a Baguette or Kaiser Roll.  One thing that had changed was their prices had gone up from $5.50 to $6.50.  Nothing too dramatic but still I was a little bummed.  I scanned the list of goods and made a decision.  Duck Confit with Cranberry Relish & Shredded Cabbage on a Baguette.  For those who do not know what Duck Confit is, it is Duck Leg that had been cooked slowly in its own fat. 
I was looking forward to big chunks of duck with a tart relish to balance that fattiness.  I ordered my sando and they immediately handed it to me.  Just a note, that’s not a good thing.  I don’t like being handed a sando that’s probably been sitting there for about thirty minutes.   All I remember saying as it happened was, “Really?”, but they failed to see why I was concerned.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt and walked off to ingest my lunch. 
As I finally got into it I noticed that the Confit they sold me on was actually Rillette. Again for those who don’t know what Rillette is, it’s Duck Confit taken and emulsified with its own fat, creating a smooth spreadable product. Some of you might be asking yourself, “What does that matter? It’s still duck isn’t it?” to which I reply, yes it is, but it’s also a different texture and NOT what they advertised on their board.  As I walked to work eating, I couldn’t help notice how increasing salty each bit got and couldn’t finish it.  I was pretty bummed and let down by the whole experience.  Oh well.

Rating:

Bread:
The sando was on a Baguette.  It had good structure to it but it was far too chewy for me.  After almost an entire sando my jaw was a bit sore because of all the extra effort. 
2/5

Filling:
The filling was a cranberry Relish & Shredded Cabbage with Duck Confit.  Unfortunately, this was a Rillette than Confit.  I had been looking for chunks of pulled duck leg but this was just a spread and quite salty at that.  I had hoped the relish would be tart enough to cut through the fat but it was lost in all.
2/5

Price:
$6.50 for this sando was about a dollar too much.  In fact a year ago it was only $5.50 but prices do what they do. I just think that it could have been less.
3/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
They were very friendly to the customer base.  They take debit cards, which is always a benefit to food carts.  They offer a few sides such as a salad, chips, and soup. I believe the soup changes daily.  Their drink options were pretty nice. I think about eight different bottled sodas. 
4/5

Over all Rating: 11/20 points

Repeat Visit?
Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment