Wednesday, June 15, 2011

May 15th, 2011 Pine State Biscuits


Pine State Biscuits

3640 Southeast Belmont Street, Portland, OR

(503) 236-3346


Everyday 7 AM – 2 PM; Fri & Sat 6 PM – 1 AM

May 15th, 2011

Sometimes you have one-two word conversations with friends via text that just make you realize how much you’re both on the same page at that exact moment.  As I woke up, this is how that particular conversation between my friend Erik and I went down.
Erik: Breakfast Sando? Me: Pine State Biscuits? Erik: Alberta?! Me: 30 mins?
Erik: HELL YA!
You can’t really beat that kind of mental balance.  It also helps the fact that I had planed on eating there that morning anyway.  I got ready and met with Erik for some much-needed biscuit sandos. 
As we entered there wasn’t much of a line at all, which is nice considering that some peoples biggest complaint about dining there is in fact the wait. We walked up to the counter and since it was my first time Erik insisted I order the Reggie Deluxe.  I’m not one to argue with someone who’s been there and done that many a time so I obliged to his insisting and got the Reggie D. as well as a Bloody Mary. That’s right, they have booze and bless them for it as I had tied a few over the night before and was thankful for some hair of the dog. 
We chatted while waiting for our food and watched the kitchen do its thing.  Its fun to do this with another cook because you can bounce ideas off the other as far as what you both think of the set up and how they utilize space.  Pine State does a good job I think and they have some creative touches here and there that anyone can really appreciate.
We got our food and it looked perfect for what I was craving. The fried chicken covered in gravy between a hearty biscuit with all the extra goodies was quite mesmerizing.  Erik ordered the Shrimp and grits, which looked equally lovely.  Besides the egg on my sando not being runny, I would say this plate is a home run for anyone who orders it, with the exception of vegans, vegetarians, and picky eaters.  To them I say, “Your Loss.” We finished our meals and hung out a bit more afterwards since it had turned into such a beautiful day.  Also it was nice to just be outside walking around after such a big meal. 

Rating:

Bread:
The Biscuits were delicious, buttery, and fluffy. I think it’s a great product to revolve a business around.
5/5

Filling:
This sando had Fried Chicken, Gravy, Cheddar, Bacon, and a fried egg on it. What more could you really want along side a Bloody Mary for an early morning Breakfast.  The only thing I would like next time would be that they fry the egg to order so that the yolk is runny.  This seemed as though they had a bunch of precooked eggs sitting in a warmer.  Not quite ideal really.  I was glad my Bloody Mary came with a Celery stick too.  I saved it for last.
4/5

Price:
For $8 I would say this is a substantial amount of food that will gladly fill you up and leave you satisfied.  
5/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
The service was great.  Its mainly a serve yourself with drinks such as coffee and water but they will bring everything else to you and call out your order at the counter which I recommend sitting at so you watch all the action in the kitchen. Sometimes the wait is not what you would like it to be but patience is a virtue.  They have plenty to offer in ways of drink as well as some boozy goodies and the sides are quite plentiful too.  I’ve never had the Hash browns but hear they’re awesome.
4/5

Over all Rating: 18/20 points


Repeat Visit?
Yes indeed. As a matter of fact I was in yesterday, again, with my friend Erik. 

No comments:

Post a Comment