Sunday, June 12, 2011

May 12th, 2011 Bunk Bar


Bunk Bar

1028 Southeast Water Ave, Suite 130, Portland, OR

(503) 894-9708


Everyday 3 PM – 2 AM

May 12th, 2011

Ah Friday again (well Saturday really) and I planed on my sando today being a late night one.  After a good night on the line I decided to trek over to Bunk Bar since I drove to work instead of taking the Max in like I usually do.  I felt it was a good idea, enough so that my buddy Kris was into it as well so he decided to come along for yet another sando endeavor. 
 
We left work and made our way down to Southeast.  I’ve been to Bunk Bar before and funny enough it was with Kris the previous time as well, only it was in the afternoon. I was looking forward to this trip since Bunk Bar is a Bar I was hoping for a hopping scene of people drinking and enjoying some good eats.  As Kris and I entered we were sad to discover there was only five other people in the place. Oh well. I’m still happy to have a beer with my sando.  I had ordered the Roast Beef and Kris got the Pork Belly & Tofu. Both came with a decent amount of kettle chips.
We talked about random things and did a bit of people watching as more came and went during our duration there.  The staff was eager to leave once 2 AM rolled along and I didn’t blame them.   We made our way out and I gave Kris a ride home. We stopped randomly before getting into the car when we noticed a turned over newspaper case.  Kris was curious why a SE newspaper case was all the way in....SE. We shared a good laugh about that for a minute and then went on our way.  Not a bad way to unwind after a long night of work.  Now I just have to think about where to go tomorrow.

Rating:

Bread:
The bread on the Roast Beef was a Poppy seed bun that was soft but hearty.  I liked it a lot.  The Pork Belly had more of a Bah Mi roll that was toasty and soft.  Very appropriate choices I would say.
4/5

Filling:
The Roast Beef had caramelized onions, Cheddar, and a Horseradish Sauce. I loved all the flavors and think its one of their more solid sandos.  The Pork Belly & Tofu had Bok Choy Raab and a Yuzu Sauce.  It was pretty good. Very savory and kind of sweet with a bit of spice but in all I’d still go with the roast beef. 
4/5

Price:
It was $8 for the Roast Beef & the Pork Belly and both came with a side of chips.  I’d say that’s a good deal.  I was satisfied at the end of it all and that’s all you can really ask for.
4/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
They were really nice and laid back even with it being as slow as it was.  They offer plenty of sides to go along with your sando. Some of their sides are good just on their own if you don’t want too much food. Drink selection is also quite excellent with the fact that there is a full bar with draft beers. 
5/5

Over all Rating: 17/20 points

Repeat Visit?
Yes. In fact I was there just last week after work and it was pretty packed.  No sando this time but plenty to drink and had some gravy fries my friend Erik ordered.  Pretty grubbin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment