Thursday, June 2, 2011

May 2nd 2011 PAMBICHE


Pambiche
 
2811 NE Glisan Street, Portland, OR

(503) 233-0511


Open Everyday 8 AM -10 PM Sunday-Thursday 8 AM – Midnight Friday & Saturday

May 2, 2011:
My friend Kris was joining me on my Sando excursion today. He’s the Sous Chef were we both work and liked the idea of the Sandwich tour.  He’d been to Pambiche before but it had been some time since he last went so we were both looking forward to our visit.
 As soon as I through the door I was hit with a warm and eccentric atmosphere.  The walls are painted with bright vibrant colors/Murals and decorated with pictures of Cuba.  The seats are close together so personal bubbles are to be left at the door. 
Now I know what most are thinking, “Is this a Cuban” Sandwich “ Restaurant or just a Cuban Restaurant?” and the answer is that it’s a Cuban Restaurant but they have a small section of sandos that are very tasty.  I love trying out regional restaurants that offer a small selection of their home-style sandwiches. 
Kris ordered the Pan con Pescado and I had the Sandwich Cubano.  We gave each other one half of our sando to be able to try both. We both agreed that the Pescado was the better of the two.  I loved how light and hot the fish was. Washing it all down with a beer was probably the best idea of the day only to be topped by going across the street to Migration Brewing for a few more beers and some darts.   I still need a one on one rematch Kris.




Rating:
Bread:
The Cuban rolls they used are nice Rustic style bread.  The bread on the Traditional Cubano was pressed on a flat top griddle. It had a nice crispy/crunchy yet soft texture that made it almost like a Panini. I enjoyed this quite a bit.  The Pan con Pescado was on the same kind of bread but only just slightly toasted.  It had a bit more structure to it so it could support the amount of items it had in the sandwich.
5/5

Filling:
The Sandwich Cubano had smoked ham, roast pork, Swiss cheese, mustard, and a pickle all pressed between the bread. The mustard and pickle do a fine job of cutting through the fatty richness of the pork and cheese. It’s a great rustic sando that doesn’t lack in portion size.  The Pan con Pescado was my favorite.  It had grilled Red Snapper with avocado, grilled red onions, and mustard.  The fish was nice and hot and the avocado was very creamy.  I’ve had some really under ripe avocado used in dishes before so I’m always happy when I see restaurants using it properly. 
5/5

Price:
With the Cuban priced at $10 and the Pescado at $11, I’d say this is a fair deal with the quality/quantity of food and the sides of to tostones & pickle.
4/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
The servers were pretty attentive but it bordered on the lines of pushy.  I felt at points like we were being rushed to leave. I understand the need to flip tables but in the long run we were only there forty-five minutes.  The sandos came with a side of pickle and Tostones. These are fried plantains with a very crispy texture. They’re great with a bit of the Banana or chili sauce they provide at the table. They also had a nice selection of beers and other drinks.
4/5

Over all Rating:  18/20 points

Repeat Visit?
I would gladly return for a chance to indulge in the many items they have on their menu. And with summer coming it’s a great place to get a late night snack while sitting in their patio area having a cold beer on a warm night.

No comments:

Post a Comment