Monday, June 13, 2011

May 13th, 2011 Chop Butchery & Charcuterie


CHOP Butchery & Charcuterie

735 NW 21st Ave Portland OR, 97209

(503) 221-3012

http://www.chopbutchery.com/home.php

Mon – Sat 9:30 AM – 7 PM; 
Sun 10 AM – 7 PM
 

May 13th, 2011


After a rather slow morning of doing laundry and making phone calls I found myself anxious to try out another sando shop.  Chop has been on my radar for a bit and it was the perfect time to check it out.  I always love a good butcher shop as I’ve said before with Laurelhurst Market so I got ready and made the trek downtown via the Max line.  Nothing like a good walk to get your appetite primed and ready.
As I made my way into the City Market building I took a moment and looked around to see the wonderful shops that it had to offer such as Pastaworks & Newman’s Fish as well as other goods laid out in between.  Chop is located directly to the right of the entrance as anyone would be able to notice with their display case showing off their delicious assortments of Cured, aged, and fresh meaty goods.  I’m like a kid in a damn candy shop with this stuff. 
I grabbed their sando menu and did a quick glance at it noticing their build your own option as well as their daily specials.  I wasn’t to keen on the Tuna salad option and building your own didn’t seem appropriate at the time since I wanted something they had put together themselves. This left two options: The Frog, which is Pate on Baguette with Pickled Red onions with Dijon Mustard, or the , wait for it…Italian Stallion.  Yes let the stream of promiscuous jokes and puns begin.  Not sure if they named that because of that particular reason or not but I wouldn’t put it past a bunch of butchers since they tend to have a darker sense of humor in my experience, which is fine since I’m about as demented as they come.  Moving on.
With a slight chuckle I ordered their signature sando and chatted with guy behind the counter for a bit while he prepared it for me.  I thanked him (I believe his name was Ben), paid for it at the registers located near the front of the market, and made my way to Couch Park where I decided would be a good spot to eat.  I enjoyed the sando as much as I did sitting in the serene setting of the park on another beautiful Portland Day. Well-done Chop. I'll be back for your Porchetta sando on the weekend. 

Rating:

Bread:
The bread was a run of the mill Hoagie roll.  Since I had taken the sando to go, by the time I sat down to eat it, it had gotten a bit soggy but not so much that it wasn’t holding up but I still wish it wasn’t as soggy. I'll just have to eat it sooner I guess or ask for lighter oil & Vinegar.
4/5

Filling:
The Filling was their House Salami, Ham, Mortadella, Provolone, Peppers, Shredded Iceberg, Red Onion, Tomato, Pepperoncini, Olive Oil, & Vinegar. This is exactly what I expect from and Italian style hoagie sando.  There was plenty of Meat to fill you up as well as other goodies to give it all the texture and vegetables you want.
5/5

Price:
It was $6.95 for this “Stallion” of a sando and I think it was worth every penny.  All their sandos are fixed at $6.95 for a whole and $3.95 for a half. Obviously the whole is a better deal.  You also have the choice to build your own sando, which is always a good time.
4/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
The guys behind the counter were very helpful and outgoing with their customers.  This is always appreciated in a butcher shop.  Their drink and side selection was quite slim.  This isn’t too disappointing since they are mainly a butcher shop and they’re located within a market with plenty of options to check out. 
3/5

Over all Rating: 16/20 points

Repeat Visit?
Yes. Especially since they serve a Porchetta sando on Friday and Saturday.  I always love a good Porchetta in sando form.  I’m also eager to investigate their new shop location in NE next to Tasty & Sons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment