Thursday, June 9, 2011

May 9th, 2011 Theo's


Theo’s

121 Northwest 5th Avenue, Portland, OR

(503) 226-2828


Mon-Wed: 7:30 am – 8:00 pm; Thurs: 7:30 am – 10 pm
Fri: 7:30 am – 4 am; Sat: Noon – 4 am Sun: CLOSED

May 9th, 2011

 I ride the Max the majority of the time I travel to work downtown.  It’s a great way to save money, be a little greener, and also sometimes if you’re really lucky some of our lovely local Portland crazies will give you some fond memories.  This isn’t one of those stories though I do love my crazies in Portland.
Anyway, as I rode the Max today I couldn’t quite make up my mind on where I was going to grab a bite before work today since many places I was checking out are in the downtown area. Then, as if a sign from above, the Max stopped directly in front of Theo’s.  Without hesitation I jumped off and strolled right in. 
The space seats about forty people with some tables outside as well.  Inside everything is pretty close together but not so close that you have to worry about someone in your personal space at all times.  The menu is printed above the register, which also give you a glimpse into their kitchen.  It’s a small area but it looks like it works out fine. They seemed to be doing well with three people during the lunch hour but I can only imagine it would have run smoother with a fourth.
 I ordered the Roast Beef on Dave’s Killer Bread with Swiss cheese, Lettuce, & Horseradish Mayonnaise and I choose a side of potato salad. I sat down at the closest table and waited for my order to come up watching a line start to slowly form.  I like when this happens for the reasons that, firstly, I’m not in it, and secondly, perhaps this means a I’ve made a good choice. Either way people watching is always fun and the Bike Cop telling each person that walked by him to get the special because, “It’s rocking!” cracked me up. 
My order was called and I walked over to pick it up.  I ate my sando while walking the rest of the way to work enjoying every bit of it.  Now if I could just find a way for it to stop raining we’d be in business. 





Rating:

Bread:
Theo’s uses Dave’s Killer Bread with their sandos, which, in my opinion, is a fine bread to use.  The bread was Oat Wheat that was light and soft but still strong enough to hold the sando in place without it soaking through or falling apart.
4/5

Filling:
The filling was Roast beef, lettuce, Swiss cheese, and a horseradish Mayonnaise. It was simple, to the point, and very good. I would have liked a touch more Roast Beef but it’s not completely lacking. I like a good roast beef sando and this one was just enough to satisfy my hunger. 
4/5

Price:
$7.25 for the sandwich and you get a side with it? Excellent deal.  Could it be a little cheaper? Probably, but in the long run of things it’s a better deal than a lot of other people are offering. 
4/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
They have friendly service and they’re attentive to their customers.  They have plenty of choices in sides as well as a WALL of different drinks you can choose from.  I was amazed at the variety of drinks they had to offer you.
5/5

Over all Rating: 17/20 points

Repeat Visit?
I would indeed. Especially since this is another venue that is open late on the weekends when I get out of work, so if I want to grab a quick bite I’d be more than able to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment