Monday, June 6, 2011

May 6th, 2011 Laurelhurst Market Butcher Shop


Laurelhurst Market Butcher Shop

3155 East Burnside Street, Portland, OR

(503) 206-3099


Everyday 10 AM – 7 PM

May 6th, 2011

It turned out to be a rainy Saturday, as I got ready for work.  I remembered wanting to drive on account that it was going to pouring on me the whole way in but my roommate was kind enough to give me a ride, so I thought I’d treat him to a sando.  We took Burnside down and stopped off at the Butcher shop at Laurelhurst Market because they do a daily sandos from their counter. I’ve been in before and enjoyed it very much.  Dave’s (My roommate) a big meat and potatoes kind of guy so when he finds a choice Butcher shop that can get exactly the kinds of steaks he wants he gets pretty excited. This goes double for me, but with good Pork Chops.
To the right of the front door you’ll see the display counter of fresh meats laid out for you to look over for possible purchases.  If you’re having private dinners or just want something nice to grill up this summer they're a good place to check out.  To the far right is the register and next to that is the Sando menu.  They tend to do five or six varieties that change depending on what they have available.  Today there was five because they weren’t quite ready with the sixth one. No worries in my book since the rest looked delicious. 
I choose the Seared Duck Rillette on Baguette with Red onions, Pickles, & Dijon Mustard and Dave ordered the Corned beef on Levain bread with Swiss, Arugula, Red Onions,  Pickles, & Dijon.  I enjoyed mine on the way into work while Dave drove . He said was looking forward to having his at home.  He told me later it was, “Mackin’!” To which all I could really say was…Ditto and thanks for the ride.


Rating:
Bread:
The Baguette had a great crispy/crunch to it and a soft/chewy inside that I liked. I think the filling did a good job of moistening the bread to keep from being too dry. It was a good balance. 
5/5

Filling:
The filling was nice. The pickles, mustard, and red onion complimented the Rillette nicely by cutting the fattiness with all the acid along with the crunchy textures with the smoothness of the Duck.  The only thing I did not enjoy was the amount of fat that was dripping out of the sando, what with the Rillette being seared then breaking the emulsion between the fat and meat that made it the Rillette to begin with. Next time I think I’d rather it be cold. Other than that it was delicious. 
4/5

Price:
$8 was little much in my opinion. The portion size was fine.  However, with the majority of the ingredients being so inexpensive to make or be made available, I would think that it could have been better as $7.  But they do have a fixed price for all their sandwiches so it wouldn’t matter which you choose.
3/5

Customer Service, Sides, Drink Selection:
The customer service was great.  The guys behind the counter are nice and knowledgeable of their product.   There’s also a good selection of bottled sodas to choose from.  I didn’t notice too many sides other than chips though.
4/5

Over all Rating: 16/20 points

Repeat Visit?
Yes. Because even if I don’t want a sando I’m still going to want to purchase some Pork Chops or other meaty goods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment